Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The wonderful strings of the human soul

Every single day we have to start all over. We come to this world crying and screaming and the basic mood of human life is - let's face it - depressed. We are all condemned to death. In order to reach the state of joy, to be in a good mood, to feel happy, one has to constantly pick oneself up. We have to be aware of the fact that there is an "Up" and we have to keep moving in its direction.
An example: every musical instrument is out of tune to begin with, the strings are loose. It's the same with people. In order for us to be able to play those instruments, we have to get them in tune. That's when we will be ready for the music. That's exactly how a human soul works. If we don't get ourselves in tune every day, we are bound to stay that way - out of tune.
The big question is: How? Well, I don't know. This is a constant problem, a question that is always present in my life. Take the theater for example. I spend most of my time there and I am faced with actors who have to be in tune and ready to perform at 7pm even if their mother had died just hours earlier. I've seen it happen. For this to be possible, the actor has to be in love with his/her art form.
There are countless ways and shades of how to get oneself in tune. To a religious person, I'd say, you have to believe in God. To a transcendent person I'd say, you have to believe that the invisible world is going to help. To someone whose education was based on oriental doctrines I'd say, you have to meditate, because in that state, you will touch the sky with your spirit. But an artist is not a yogi and he might not even be a believer. But he most definitely is the priest of the stage. He loves his profession more than anything else in the world and this means that he can even forget about his mother's death because when he's performing, the stage is a more important and more sacred space than real life is.
I'm not sure if these examples of being in tune are clear or not. If we don't tune ourselves, we are going to stay out of tune. It's as simple as that. Everyone has to find their own tool with which they can tune themselves. It's different for everyone. A lot of people think there is a general solution to the big questions of life. Well, there isn't. Every person reaches his point of ecstasy at different places, every person has a different spot on their body that has to be touched in order for them to regain consciousness. And everyone has to find that spot inside them. The spot that will allow them to be redeemed.
Every person is a unique piece of this world. We are not created in mass production, like the Toyota that can be called in for service. We are unique and therefore everyone has their starter motor in different places. I have found mine and when I talk to people, a lot of times I can find theirs. Most of the times it's in a totally different place than mine.
This is nothing artificial, this is a basic question of mankind. How to tune oneself. Some people do it by passionately committing to something. Other people fall in love or listen to some nice music or drink good wine ... as I said, it's different for everyone. And the most important thing is - only you can find your own key. Once the lights are turned off inside us, noone can turn them back on, except for us.
This might sound weird, but even love isn't a universal key. Like when I deeply love someone, but he leaves me - how do I tune myself? Or when I love someone more than anything else and they die - how do I pick myself up? What do I do? How do I get up, spread my wings and start flying again? This is rebirth itself. The key to rebirth. The answers are inside us and I am positive that those who look for them, will find them.
This is quite a personal question, so I can only speak for my own self when I'm asked about tuning myself. I go into the theater and see my actors, talk to the directors, listen in on some rehearsals, pick up a script and read it. These encounters are my point of ecstasy. I get so much positivity from these people and situations and I know that I give out at least the same amount to them. I love it when I see my reflection in their eyes. Two sparks meet. And two sparks are a flame.
Don't ever forget: tuning yourself means tuning a whole orchestra. I don't tune my own violin to play a solo. I tune my own violin to tune others' instruments as well.

No comments: