Sunday, March 27, 2011

To be born an astronaut

My friend's daddy got a telescope from his son for his 50th birthday. It was a clear summer night so we put it together in the garden right away.

I looked into it.

Outer space opened up right in front of my eyes. It was a good telescope, I felt like I was holding the sky in my hands. I stood there, watching, for a very long time. I studied the Milky Way and I searched for constellations.

The Moon amazed me. I marvelled at it, I was stunned by the view.
But at the same time I couldn't resist the other planets. As soon as I caught a glimpse of a pretty planet, I got lost in it. And the ones I found pretty were the ones that were close to me. I felt a peculiar fraternity, which filled my heart with warmth. I reached out for them, and I stroked them in my imagination.

I was an astronaut, going through millions of years, with ashes of lost civilizations under my feet. Mistique. Fantastic. Gripping adventures. I opened my arms, and I knew that everything I saw from here, was going to be mine one day. I felt the intention and the power in myself , but then the Sun came up and rid me of the buzz. That is when I learned that we always have to fight for our dreams much harder than what we first imagine.

I asked myself, how could it ever be possible to bathe in the beauty of the Moon all the time, when Saturn, Jupiter and Venus are also here? Dear god. They are all so marvellous, I wish I could trace them with my fingers. I am small - I thought -, I am so tiny, how amazing is it that I can take in this much of what is up there with these two little button eyes of mine? Who is brave enough after all this, to tell me that tomorrow I am not going to find a planet even more beautiful than these ones? And if I do, then as sorry as I am, I am never going to be able to give men a home, I will always remain an exotic island. Why? Because I was born an astronaut.

And you are the supernovas. I ask you not to be angry with me for wanting so badly to touch all your surfaces.

No comments: